Thursday 25 July 2019

A BIG birthday worthy of a trip to the Netherlands

Mon 24/6/19

I departed SYH at 0400 on my first long solo trip with Destiny. The family and friends were all due to meet in Amsterdam on the week of 30 June in reverence to a significant birthday Jane would be celebrating in early July. As ever, things didn’t go exactly to plan.

Being summer, I thought it might be safe to assume that we would have settled weather and light winds. I therefore planned to leave on Thursday which would allow a day for the crossing and another day to transit to Amsterdam. This was not to be and the only weather window showing light winds in the North Sea was Monday. I duly set off.

I’m still experimenting with RPM vs speed options and on this trip I decided to cruise at about 8 kts. This would give a journey time of about 12 hours - a comfortable balance between eating up the miles, fuel consumption and the need to stay alert.  2000 RPM gave about 8 kts through the water at a fuel rate of 15 ltrs/hour. The tide in this part of the North Sea runs predominantly across the direction of travel: first in one direction and then in the other. At both ends of the trip the tides can be a help (or a hinderance if you get them wrong). I covered the 101nms to the lock at Roompot in 12 hours thereby averaging 8.4 kts. 

The route across the North Sea has to take into account a number of wind farms, Traffic Separation Schemes and other potential hazards. The AIS shot below show a large number of vessels used to support one of the large wind farms. Although toted as one of the busiest traffic areas in Europe, my crossing was not unduly troubled by other vessels.
The winds were light, no more than 11kts, and the trip uneventful other than at about 10 nms out from the Dutch coast the boat became infested with flies! The whole boat was covered in them and a large number got inside before I could close all the windows and doors. Bizarrely they appeared very sluggish and quickly started to die off. For the remainder of the trip I became adept at swatting the torpid beasties. The carnage left a fair bit of debris which I vacuumed up.

The sea locks in Holland can be huge and Roompotsluise is no exception. Single handing the locks proved straight forward: tie off at the centre cleat to hold the boat in place, hook on a bow line, then a stern line, leading both of these lines back to the centre of the boat. Next untie the centre line before the sluices open and stand in the centre of the boat to work the lines. Having a Yachtcontroller helps keep the boat in position until all lines are held. One other boat entered the lock with me, a sailing yacht, whose crew spent the whole time squatting flies!
Although large, the Dutch locks are easy to work
What is apparent from the moment you approach the Dutch coast is the scale and ingenuity of the engineering required to keep the sea from encroaching on the land.  
Some seriously impressive engineering
View from my birth in Roompt Marina
Having successfully negotiated the lock I aimed for Roompot Marine a short distance away. This is where I remembered that European marine radios are set up differently to those in the UK.  The marina frequency, channel 31, doesn’t exist on my radio. No problem, I had called the marina to book a berth prior to leaving the UK, I tried to call them. Every time I dialled a number I immediately got the engaged sound. I even tried calling the UK without success. I concluded there must be something wrong with my phone.  I was rapidly approaching the marina so decided to enter unannounced. I found a berth and tied up 12.35 hours after I set off.


The marina staff and fellow birthers we’re extremely friendly. It helps that everyone in the Netherlands speaks excellent English. Unfortunately the food option was a choice between eating in a “buffet hall” on the adjacent campsite or the restaurant in the marine. I opted for the later having done a cursory inspection of the former. By the time I arrived they were taking no more booking. I retired to the boat and had a snack. Having sorted out the route options for the morning and picked up more dead flies I retired early to bed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment