Thursday 25 July 2019

Wed 26/6/19

I departed Willemstad at 0810 and headed for the the turn off into the locks that lead from the Lek onto the Amsterdam-Rijnkannal. Holland makes good use of its network of rivers and canals with commercial traffic be a very common sight. 

Lek is a busy river but an easy, enjoyable route. Swimmers, canoeists, jet and water skiers all share the river with the commercial traffic and seem to coexist in harmony.  The Dutch are renowned boat builders and below is an example of the top end on offer at "Oceanco" that I passed en-route.














I called ahead to WSV de Peiler to book a berth and was met by the Albert Van Heijst, the harbourmaster who directed me to the pontoon. I was tied up by 1430 - a short day. Albert and his enthusiastic team could not have been more helpful.  He loaned me a bike which allowed me to visit Helsdingen and Vianen - a large town with a pretty, historic pedestrian centre.
A "free" bike loaned by the marina
One of the wonderful buildings in Vianen
Another one....

I saw these sheep in a field during my ride. I can't recall seeing anything like these anywhere else.
On returning to the marina, I ordered a beer and was joined by Albert who told me of his forthcoming trip to the UK.  
A well-earned beer with Destiny in the background
Albert's Linssen

Albert has a Linnsen yacht and the manufacturers organise an annual trip for Linnsen owners looking for travelling companions and an adventure. (I wonder if Elling has considered such a thing. I will raises this with them. There seems to be little in the way of formally fostering community spirt across Elling owners). This year 12 Linnsens are planning to travel to the east coast of the UK. I hope to meet up with them and reciprocate some of the hospitality they showed me.

De Peiler is a community run marina and the cheapest I’ve experienced on my travels. At €22.25 it was outstanding value and is well worth a visit. It has a small, welcoming restaurant/snack bar/club house where I ate my evening meal. In the morning, Albert showed me around his Linssen Grand Sturdy, introduced me to his wife Else, and plied me with coffee before I departed at 0920. Fond memories.

No comments:

Post a Comment