Sunday 28 July 2019

The return to the UK

Mon 8/7/19

I left Amsterdam for Roompot at 0600 with a forecast of 15 kts of winds off the starboard quarter which was predicted to decrease as we travelled south.  The trip along the Amster was uneventful. The interesting bit happened shortly after I locked out. I had read that the tides can cause problems around the entrance to the Noordzeekannal and as I approach the open water I could see turmoil ahead. I made sure everything was shipshape, closed the windows and roof and entered the fray. I was greeted by very steep short seas and 26kts on the beam. Not dangerous but not nice.  The waves subsided after a mile or two but the winds remained stubbornly just aft of the beam at between 17 and 22 kts for most of the day. Beam winds are not comfortable in an unstabilised motor boat.  I got very little done during my 11 hour passage having to wedge myself into the helm seat. 

The only break to the monotony came from a Dutch Coastguard vessel that passed me 180 degrees out. He then called me and asked me a number of questions about the boat, the number and nationality of the people on board, where we had come from, where we were going, what was our home port and information about why and where we’d been in Holland. He was very polite and was clearly satisfied by my answers since he decided not to board me and sent me on my way.

I arrived in Roompot at 1700, cleaned up the boat, took a shower went for a meal and planned the trip home. I went to bed knackered at 2115.

Tues 9/7/19

What a difference a day makes. Very light winds and a gentle rolling swell. I left the marina at 0430, called the Roompot lock as I left (I think, from the sound of his voice, I might have woken the lock keeper) and was shepherded in on a green light when I arrived at 0455. I departed the lock at 0502 - must be a record.
The North Sea is a busy place and you see all types and design of ship. This one looks like it was designed by a 3 year old!

The only thing of note was one of the larger swells caught me unawares and deposited a cup of soup over me and the pilot house carpet. I spent a good hour cleaning up the mess and washing the carpet and my cloths.

We tied up at 1650/1550 (EU/UK time).

Total distance covered 485 nms.

No comments:

Post a Comment